Area Manager of Plains
Indianapolis Zoo has an opportunity for an Area Manager of Plains (primary focus of
this area is African species), a position that demands strong management and
supervisory skills, and exotic and domestic hoof stock knowledge. This
position supervises staff, adult volunteers, and interns. The Area Manager
of Plains is responsible for selection, acquisition and de-acquisition of
specimens; the Health and Welfare of the Collection; Records Management;
Permits and Licenses; Safety and Security of the area; and Staffing.
• Assisting, planning and directing exhibit
• Submitting quarantine arrival forms and, if needed,
organizing and implementing quarantine procedures for animals quarantined in
• Oversees and directs animal introductions and seasonal animal
• Use behavioral enrichment techniques to
modify/enrich animals within the biome.
Must follow Universal Protection Precautions and Bloodborne Pathogens Guidelines. Possible
occupational exposure (Category B employee) to human bloodborne pathogens.
Job requires working with harsh or hazardous chemicals (e.g., chlorine
sanitizers or cleaning compounds). Exact chemicals and training will be
explained by the area curator.
• A minimum four years of professional work experience working in a
similar organization, and at least two years of practical zoo
• A minimum of three years of
• Bachelor’s degree in zoology, biology, or a related field is required.
• Outstanding communication skills.
• Demonstrated strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
Must be an intermediate user of Outlook, Excel, E-time, Workorder,
Performance Impact, PAT, KDR and Word.
• Must be able to work outdoors and indoors under all environmental
• Must be able to perform very heavy work exerting at least 100 pounds of
force occasionally, and or up to 50 pounds of force frequently.
• Must be able to climb and maintain body equilibrium while performing
The Zoo offers a competitive benefit package (medical, dental, vision, and
life insurance, 403b) after 90 days of employment. Compensation is
commensurate with experience. Must complete an online application, including
cover letter and résumé. Please include compensation requirement in
your attached cover letter, or enter it on the online application.
Additionally, submit the
The names and contact information of three professional
references. Preferably references are current or former supervisors, or
someone who can speak knowledgeably about your work, abilities, and
skills. Please do not list relatives and friends.
ONLINE APPLICATIONS ARE ACCEPTED (see below). Candidates are encouraged to
attach cover letters and resumes. Mailed, faxed and hand-delivered
applications will not be considered. No phone calls please. On the online
employment application, please enter “Area Manager of Plains” in the
"position desired" section. Application
deadline is April 5.
contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment drug test,
training completion, and criminal history check. The Indianapolis Zoo
is a Drug Free/Smoke Free Workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ONLINE JOB APPLICATION