Be prepared for an extravaganza of showy feathers, explosive color and amusing antics when you visit the Zoo's newest exhibit. You are able to stroll through three brilliant aviaries, enjoy interactive feedings, watch a fun 4D movie, take the kids to a bird-themed play yard, and rediscover the birds that have brightened your imagination since childhood.
Flights of Fancy: A Brilliance of Birds presented by Citizens Energy Group offers up-close experiences with colorful and curious birds from around the world. Designed especially for families with young children, this all-new Encounters exhibit gives you the opportunity to get close to the animals. A nose-to-beak experience awaits you in our interactive aviaries and habitats:
▪ Budgies: In this aviary, be surrounded by hundreds of friendly and curious budgies. Give your seed stick a shake, and one may even land on your hand, arm or shoulder to have a nibble of seed. Remember to bring your camera (or phone) for some great photo ops!
▪ Out of Africa: Take a trip to Africa as you stroll through the next aviary. While helmeted guinea fowl run along the ground, and white-cheeked turacos and superb starlings rest on perches above, you can watch taveta golden weavers hard at work building their intricate nests. The southern ground hornbills are certain to be a favorite. These 3-foot-tall meat-eating birds are the jesters of the African savannah, and love to play with their food. Their special location is right next to the counter where you can get some fabulous tropical smoothies perfect for warm summer days.
▪ Lorikeets: Colorful, tropical, playful lories and lorikeets will greet you in the third aviary. You'll feel like you're in Australia as you listen to their cheerful songs while they drink nectar right from your hand!
▪ Want to observe from a distance? There are many landing-free zones outside the aviaries that provide a comfortable vantage point where you’ll be able to enjoy all of the sights and sounds.
▪ Splash of Caribbean Color: Also, look for a sandy beach, large lagoon, and lush plants and you’ll find a stand of flamingos feeling right at home. For these festive birds, the more the merrier!
▪ Backyard Habitat: We haven’t forgotten about birds from around Indiana. This special area is dedicated to native attracting native birds through landscaping and other features, offered thanks to Wild Birds Unlimited. Indigenous plants and trees will provide a special home for these beautiful birds of Indiana. Colorful birds aren’t just for other continents; Africa has golden weavers, but Indiana has goldfinches. Australia has red lorikeets, but we have spectacular cardinals. Be inspired to invite birds to your own backyard by seeing what we’ve done with ours.
Not Just for the Birds
The new Flights of Fancy exhibit includes more than birds—there are great new amenities that will feather your family’s nest, too! Look for these great additions:
▪ Nursing Moms Nest presented by Riley Hospital for Children at Indiana University Health: A quiet place for moms to care for and nurse babies in privacy.
▪ 4-D Theater: An all-new action packed theater with 3-D and 4-D shows that will blow your imagination!
▪ New food options: Enjoy ICEEs, smoothies, soft pretzels, ice cream and a variety of other snack options.
▪ Tots Treehouse and Play Area: A special place for little ones to play.